Sunday, April 15, 2018

San Pedro Getting Attention for Environmental Consciousness

San Pedro La Laguna, Guatemala, is just across Lake Atitlan from where I live in Panajachel. I refer to it as the "hippie town". I love it! I make sure that anyone who visits me gets a chance to go to San Pedro. It has a very different vibe than Pana and makes for an awesome day trip. They have great restaurants with a wider variety of different foods than I can find here in Pana. To get there from Pana, you take a lancha publica (public boat). It costs Q25 per person each way.

A video is going around about their plastic ban, so I thought I'd share it here. It's worth watching just to see the gorgeous scenery and Mayan people.

I applaud San Pedro's efforts and hope more towns can come up with ways to reduce our impact on the environment.

2 comments :

  1. Yes! This is good. Let's see this be an Atitlan thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I returned to the lake 2 years ago after a 10 year absence, to discover that the lake is often covered in algae growth, I was haertbroken to discover that this can covet up to 70 % of the surface and the spores are dangerous when breathed in It was going to happen with so much effulent and other toxins in the water. If something is done very soon it will become as bad a Lake Itabel, which is so toxic children are born with defects. Banning plastic bags is to be appluded but....the bigger nettle needs to be grasped

    ReplyDelete